Monday, July 23, 2012

Fridge Organization

Since the refrigerator is where we house most of our food, I find it extremely important to keep it clean. About once a month, I will empty the entire fridge and wipe it down. I also take this time as an opportunity to discard of any spoiled food. Since moving into our new home, I have found that we tend to waste more food. It's not done purposefully but rather because of all of the "blind spots" we have in our fridge. Too often do I find myself throwing out something that I did not even know was there. This bothers me for several reasons the first being that there are too many people in the world starving for food to go to waste. Second, food is too expensive. Every time I have to get rid of something, I do not see food going into the trash can but money. I pride myself on successfully sticking to a $300 a month food budget all while feeding my family whole grain, organic, non-processed food (don't get me wrong, Little Debbie does sneak her way into our kitchen from time to time). Even though $300 a month may seem little to you, wasted food is still wasted money.

To help put an end to our "blind spot" problem, I set out for some serious Tupperware (or Snapware as it is now being called). I was able to find a 42 piece set at Costcos for only $25!!                                 
After finding the appropriate storage containers, I headed to the grocery store. However, my routine had changed. Instead of just throwing everything into the fridge, I took the time while the baby was sleeping to wash, cut, and store most of my produce making sure to lay them out in the fridge where they could be seen and made accessible. Here is what I came out with:
 It will be nice to have everything readily accessible for the week ahead. I've always heard from others who "eat clean", that preparation is key. I will update you as to how everything is going.

Yours Truly,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment